Thursday, June 18, 2009

my camp story

well, we have been back from camp for about two weeks now and I want to check in. 

have you continued to try to move beyond yourself and towards the Lord? Have you let camp be a one week change in your life or a beginning to a lifelong process? 

I became a Christian in high school, and my coming to faith was definitely a process. I did a bible study with a church, then decided to go to youth camp that summer. It was at camp that I finalized my decision to accept Christ as my Lord and Savior, and made it public to my youth group. I remember feeling so close to God at camp. I remember thinking that spending time in the Word and worshiping were two of the most amazing experiences ever! 

But then i went home. And i remember it being a roller-coaster. At home I had responsibilities, friends who didn't want to live for the Lord, and luxury and comfort to just be lazy. I struggled to be consistent in quiet times. This was the summer after my junior year. For the rest of high school, my faith was an up and down battle. Sometimes I was super into church and sometimes I wasn't. 

Then I went back to camp the next summer (the summer before I was going off to college). This time the Lord just really spoke to me, it was like He gave me an ultimatum- either I got serious and let Him be the Leader (Lord) of my life, or I quit pretending. I chose the serious one and determined to start seeking Jesus harder than anything else in my life. And by His grace i have been doing this every since. 

A few summers later, I became a camp staffer for the camp I had been to as a camper. How exciting! But I quickly realized God had brought me full circle- the very place I had finally decided to follow Him was the place where I had to step up and challenge others to do the same. 

How about you? Are you seeking Jesus, or are you playing the game? Our prayer is that you are seeking Him DAILY! OPEN UP YOUR BIBLES! PRAY! Let your faith become real! 

Your Turn: Post a comment telling us what camp has been for you. Be honest, remembering that confession is the best place to start moving away from our mistakes! Has your life been different since you got back? Or have you gone right back to the same o same o routine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment