Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Night two worship- Gre>ter Proof

Night two was focused on understanding that good works are a MARK of salvation, not a MEANS of salvation. We cannot earn salvation, and salvation is not about being a "good person". Too often, we accept Christ and then burden ourselves trying to be "good" on our own for Christ, instead of abiding in Christ and allowing His goodness to live through us. 

We looked at Matthew 11:28-30 where Jesus tells all who are weary to come find rest in him. To take his yoke upon us, because his yoke is lite and his burden is gentle. This isn't a picture of taking a single yoke and pulling the work ourselves (think a single ox plowing all by himself), but it's a picture of us being yoked to Christ and allowing him to pull us and the plow in his strength. He showed this picture to give us an example: 

Something he continually drove home was that our job is to abide in my Jesus. That's all. Our job is not to be a missionary, pastor, servant, great at our job, successful or anything else. The job is to abide in Jesus. When we abide, Jesus will lead us in HIS PLAN for us. It may include one of those things listed, but it may be something completely different. 

He showed the kids a picture of a text message between a kid and God. The kid was praying for a good grade on an exam. God's response was, ok and then what? So the kid continued to ask for all the normal things, a job, benefits, retirement etc. After each, God simply said "ok then what"? Finally the kid said, well then I will be secure. God responds "LOL"... Child you are secure right now with none of those things. 

We ask and ask for things we think will bring us freedom and security. Only God brings freedom and security. Are we seeking what cannot provide, or are we seeking the only ONE that provides for all we need? 

Our kids also really seemed to be moved by the worship songs we sang as well. Especially "Oceans" by Hillsong last night. What a challenging song! Let these lyrics challenge you today as well... 

"You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

[6x]
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine"

No comments:

Post a Comment